Ventilation for Health
IES Consulting are recognised experts in analysing buildings, not only from an energy and carbon perspective, but also in terms of health and wellbeing.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, CIBSE advice is to provide additional fresh air ventilation to dilute the space and reduce the risk of infection. We can help clients understand how to best adapt their buildings to create a safer return to the workplace strategy. Using proven 3D modelling methods and simulation techniques, we can analyse the measures building owners and employers can take to create a safe working environment, helping to remove the guesswork and increase confidence in health and safety.
Our expert CFD consultants can help you to make informed decisions on ventilation strategies, room layouts, safe levels of maximum occupancy, distances between occupants, cleaning/hygiene strategies and the impact of face coverings. We can help you compare multiple scenarios to refine your strategy to create safer, healthier environments for building occupants.
Visualise areas of potential contamination
- CFD analysis of workstation locations can identify possible contamination from occupants talking, coughing or sneezing. Highlighting the mitigating effects of ventilation, office layout, cleaning/good hygiene, and the use of face coverings.
- Pinpoint surfaces with the greatest risk exposure.
- Remove the invisibility - results are displayed in a way that is easy to understand, showing the amount of particles distributed by each activity and where they land in the space.
Identify suitable ventilation strategies
- Using Dynamic Thermal Simulation we can analyse both mechanical and natural airflow to determine ventilation strategies dependent on variables such as season, wind speed and wind direction to ensure regular air changes to minimise contamination.
- Measures to improve natural ventilation are critical for reducing pollutants, including diluting viral load to reduce potential infection.
- We can provide an easy to use tool for building managers to visualise and implement a ventilation strategy suitable to the environmental conditions.
Comprehensive data visualisations
- Clear technical information and visualisation, including 3D model based visualisation.
- Easily understand and clearly communicate results through comprehensive images and videos. You don't need to be a scientist!
- Visually dynamic outputs provide reassurance to employees that with appropriate measures the office can be a safer place. It eliminates the invisibility of the virus threat, emphasising the importance of adhering to the safety measures.
Latest work from our consultancy team